Friday, May 11, 2007

Ordained Clergy Person

So on a whim a couple summers ago I decided to become an Ordained Clergy Person (OCP for short). A coworker of mine who was in Rabbinical school (YCT to be exact, I know, shocker there) told me that he was asked to officiate a close friend's weddding, but because he hadn't completed his Rabbinic studies he wasn't considered an ordained member of the clergy by the state of Connecticut. So it was suggested to him to visit the website for Spiritual Humanism and sign up to become a clergymember so he could perform the ceremony official in that state. I decided to follow his lead and join myself. On August 22nd, 2005 I completed my studies (okay, I read the Terms and Conditions page and put a checkmark in a box) and became an Ordained Clergy Person. The Church of Spiritual Humanism defines itself as a religion based on the ability of human beings to solve the problems of society using logic and science. I don't like the fact that it calls itself a "church" because of all the connotations with Christianity and the fact that I am a Jew, but what the hey, I'm OCP now. Next comes the clergy parking pass. Today I ordered the kit with the ID card and certificate and chose my work address for delivery. So next week the National Jewish Outreach Program will receive a package from the Church of Spiritual Humanism. When I told Tamarzeepoo this she said, "Oh Jesus, no pun intended." Tamar rules.