Thursday, June 12, 2008

10 Years



10 years ago yesterday, on June 11th, 1998 I graduated from Edison High School in Huntington Beach, CA. I've mentioned before in my blog, but I'll happily say it again, I LOVED high school. I made some good friends, went to some great parties (mostly at the Nadler hacienda), hit a lot of softballs, won a lot of gavels (from Model UN), was Student of the Month (in a school of 1,600, thats pretty impressive), and was almost named Prom Queen. I like to say I was runner up because we didn't have a runner up but if we did I'm sure it would have been me. :) I never got great grades because I was lazy as shit but I stayed above 3.0 throughout my time there. I was supposed to graduate with honors but was one Spanish class shy of the requirement. I hated Spanish. Spent 2 1/2 years in remedial Spanish and can say "Yo Hablo Susanne". Thats about it. I wish I could have foreseen living in the barrio affectionately known as Washington Heights where Spanish would have been infinitely helpful.

And then we graduated. We wore our green robes and sat in the heat in the Edison Bowl. What I regret is that I didn't really appreciate the impact of that day. There were people there that I saw every day for 4 years. Now I haven't seen them in 10! I wish I took more pictures. I wish email was more widely used back then. I wish Facebook existed. I wish we had Myspace. I wish I'd stayed in touch with my peeps. I wish I still had my old 1982 Honda Accord Hatchback. I wish I had applied myself more.

We have our 10 Year Reunion coming up this November. I can tell you I am so excited to see all my old friends. But I can't help but think, what if I could go back 10 years and do things differently. Would I be a lawyer like I'd always planned? Would I be the observant Jew that I am today? These are questions that we cannot even think about. We need to love the life we live. And thats what I'm doing.

Happy 10th Anniversary Edison High School Class of 1998!

1 comment:

Diana said...

It seems like just yesterday...